Skin tags, also known by other names such as cutaneous tags, acrochordon, or Templeton skin tags, are the small growths that protrude out of the skin. These are common benign tumors that are connected to the skin surface by a short, thin stalk called peduncle. Skin tags vary in size and color and can appear anywhere on the body but are profoundly found in the places where the skin folds, such as the neck, armpit, eyelids, thighs, etc. The frequency of their occurrence increases after midlife, and they affect both men and women equally.
Most of the skin tags go unnoticed unless they are formed in a prominent place. They have a flattened or irregular structure and range in size from 2 mm – 5 cm. Few skin tags fall off by themselves, and others require treatments for removal.
The exact causes of skin tags are not known, but they can be caused due to the blood vessels that get trapped inside the skin. They can also be developed due to the skin rubbing on the already affected areas. The appearance of skin tags are more common in
- Overweight or obese people
- Women during pregnancy due to hormonal changes
- People with diabetes due to insulin resistance
- HPV infection
Even though skin tags are harmless when developed on prominent visible locations are not aesthetically appealing. It is not recommended to remove skin tags using home remedies or over the counter medication as it causes heavy bleeding. It is always suggested to consult a doctor and remove them using appropriate techniques. Different treatment methods available to remove skin tags are
- CRYOSURGERY - It is a procedure where liquid nitrogen is used to freeze the skin tag by destroying the growth of the cells. The dead tissue falls off within a week of the treatment.
- CAUTERIZATION – The procedure is conducted under anesthesia, where the heat generated from the electrolysis is passed on to the needle that is placed on the skin tag.
- LIGATION – In this procedure, the blood supply to the tag is interrupted with the help of a medical thread or band.
- EXCISION – The skin tag is completely cut out with the help of a scalpel. The procedure is done under anesthesia.
Get the bothersome and non-appealing skin tags removed at Rama Skin Clinic. A state of the art clinic that provides solutions for all your skin problems.
Reviewed By: Dr Sajjan R Agarwal
Visit Us: ramaskinclinic.com
Mail Us: email@example.com
Book An Appointment: ramaskinclinic.com/fix-appointment